Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Bass Album Spotlight - March:


Funky Miracle by The Meters




This is my favorite album of all time. I beg of you, do not take that lightly. I am so confident with this albums status that I can say that it always will be my favorite.

While I did say album, it actually is more of an early compilation of The Meters (but let’s not argue semantics).

If the name The Meters is foreign to you I implore you to pick up this album or any other work that they have done. On the same vein, if you are a bass player and you have never heard of George Porter, Jr. then you are in for a treat.

This isn’t your 1980’s pseudo “post-disco” bullshit that is pushed in compilations.

This is New Orleans funk. Real laid back, in the pocket, there are groups that come close, but you can’t get better then this.

Are you ready for me to make a very bold statement?

Here it goes:

I think that The Meters are the best funk band of all-time.

So enough of my Meters love fest. Let’s get on to the album.

This album album/compilation (there I go again) is so great because it hand picks every single one of their best songs. Most of the tracks are instrumentals which singles out the soul-squeezing groove that these musicians posses.

Buy this album. Do it.

Highlighted tracks:
Every single one.

No comments: