Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Tab Vs. Written Music (Why I Teach the Way I do)

I often get comments on my videos complaining that when I teach songs I don't use the note names. This, I feel, is a valid comment but one that also has the reason built in.

The lords-truth is that most people who play bass guitar have no music reading skills. While I don't present the notes in written form it can be universally understood, simply by counting, where I am on the neck.
There is also (and this is because I'm lazy) the reason that its a syllable longer to say 'A Flat' instead of its counterpart 'Four'. This really comes in handy when describing a bassline with a lot of notes in it. On occasion I will say the note names when the bassline grooves on just a chord progression.
So thats my reasoning. Take it, leave it, or keep complaining because I don't really care if you think that my free bass lessons, that I do on my own time mind you, should cater directly to your needs. Learn the notes on your own freetime. Its really not that hard to do.

P.s. I should be getting to the pile of requests I have soon, these past two weeks have been more hectic than usual.

Check back later this week for this months bass-album spotlight.

No comments: